Principle 5 – Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention
We will only use or disclose your personal information in accordance with the purposes for which it was originally collected unless you have otherwise consented, or when it is required or permitted by law.
Use of your Personal Information
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To register you for Site membership.
- To customize your experience on the Site.
- To send electronic email newsletters and information, if requested by you.
- To fill in certain information for you such as your name and signature when posting to the Site.
- To display your biography and other information submitted by you.
Potential Professional Work Opportunities
DeveloperMedia is often approached by or engages with, corporations, business and other persons (“Employers”) who are looking to engage persons with various skill sets. For example, technical writing and creative/design services. In some instances, DeveloperMedia may try to accommodate such potential engagements by incorporating a “seeking professionals” section as part of the Site. In this instance, professional work engagements would be on the Site, and Site users would contact the Employer directly.
Alternatively, Employers may choose to contact DeveloperMedia directly and request that DeveloperMedia provide to them personal information about those individuals who are interested in being considered for the professional work engagement and who have given their consent to DeveloperMedia to provide their personal information to potential Employers.
With that in mind, if you choose, you can have your personal information made available by DeveloperMedia to potential Employers. For those of you who choose to make your personal information available to potential employers, aside from providing additional resume type information to DeveloperMedia, DeveloperMedia will be storing the personal information (as DeveloperMedia does with all information provided to it) for such uses and DeveloperMedia will also sort such information in accordance with characteristics that potential Employers are looking for, and format such information in a manner easily reviewable by potential Employers.
While DeveloperMedia tries to ensure that potential Employers are legitimate, if you choose to make your personal information available to potential Employers, either through DeveloperMedia or directly, DeveloperMedia shall not bear any liability or responsibility as a result of any action or inaction of the potential Employer, irrespective of whether such action or inaction is a result of providing your personal information to the potential Employer, the use such potential Employer makes of the personal information, or otherwise.
When Information May be Disclosed to Outside Parties:
- To conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served to DeveloperMedia, or the Site;
- To protect and defend the rights or property of DeveloperMedia, including without limitation, investigating potentially fraudulent or questionable activities regarding your account(s) or the use of the Site;
- To act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of DeveloperMedia, the Site, or the public;
- To offer you related products and services that might benefit you, including information provided directly by third parties if you provide your consent to do so;
- In anticipation of and in the course of an actual or potential sale, reorganization, consolidation, merger or amalgamation of our business; and
- Otherwise as permitted or required by law.
The type of information we are legally required to disclose may relate to criminal investigations. In some instances such as a legal proceeding or court order, we may also be required to disclose certain information to authorities. Only the information specifically requested is disclosed, and we take precautions to satisfy ourselves that the authorities that are making the request have legitimate grounds to do so.
In addition, DeveloperMedia occasionally hires other companies to provide limited services on our behalf, including packaging, mailing and delivering prizes, answering customer questions about products and services, sending postal mail, and sending information about our products, special offers, and other new services. We will only provide those companies the personal information they need to deliver the service, and they are prohibited from using that information for any other purpose.
You may be offered the option to provide your information to certain third parties as part of an advertising promotion, special section, sponsored download, or other area on the Site. You will be made aware of the use of your information before you provide it, and the use thereof will be limited to the use to which you agreed.
Occasionally, third parties want to send emails regarding offers to our members. Unless you authorize it, we do not provide such third parties with your email address. These third parties wishing to send offers to our members do so through us. They send us the offer and we email it to you on their behalf.